The ink roared--a raging river--
came pouring out of its mouth.
Some regrets, not many,
wanting a voice
among the faceless pages.
through the cracks and
tripping over crevices,
dragging its torn body,
making a statement
that many choose to ignore.
The wind whispers secrets as old as the ocean, in a language even the breeze has forgotten.
The words sinuously slither through the branches of trees that scrape across the sky, trying to puncture holes in the ice crystals. Pouring ice cold memories down our backs.
And skips across the waves and ripples of water, frozen in time, like a ghost that merrily glides along the ice... lost in the forgotten tune they hum.
It's foreign tongue licks the back of our necks, like wounds, speaking to our bones as they rattle in the awesome chill of comforting pain.
Though we never admit to feeling it.
"A Song of Life" Book Trailer! This is the second book in the Song for You series.
The international book cover for "A Song of Life" to be release March 9, 2017!
The ebook cover for "A Song of Life" to be released March 9, 2017. You can preorder it on Amazon by clicking here.
I left you
YOU left me
puddled in tears
soaking & cold in
the water of my fears.
YOU left me to
drown in self-doubts.
So many nights
soaked in our shouts.
YOU left your
stinger beneath my skin
leeching your poison
YOU embraced me
with an empty smile
then left me alone
to clean your heaping pile.
YOU lost interest in
the things I did to keep you,
there wasn't anything
I wouldn't do.
YOU turned your back
on our altar of promises;
lacking passion in touch,
a mister but not a misses.
Not too long ago
I left YOU
to your distractions...
me, no longer shiny & new.
"Just kidding!" said the sun
and laughed with the clouds
as they threw raindrops our way.
The weather report whispered
rumors to the forecaster,
darting their eyes at us, accusingly.
The wind pushed us around
like bullies in a fighting ring
tenderizing the muscle of courage.
The sky grew dark and heavy--
a black eye, swelling around
a vision of naivety.
And we walked home
waiting for the night to envelope
the lost hope of today.
Scott Mullins of This Is Writing asked me a few questions about writing and my book. Follow the link and take a gander! thisiswriting.com/author-interviews-megan-rivers-fateful-melody/
I recently wrote an article for This Is Writing about the lessons I learned publishing as an Indie Author. Follow the link and check it out: thisiswriting.com/becoming-indie-author-lessons-learned-megan-rivers/
BOOK TWO ADVANCE GIVEAWAY CONTEST
I am holding a contest to give away 5 FREE, ADVANCED copies of the second book in my Song for You series, "A Song of Life" in exchange for at least one review on the day the book is released. Enter for a chance to win by following directions in my newsletter. Don't get my newsletter? Sign up for my email list below!
SIGN UP FOR MY EMAIL LIST
Sign up for my newsletter at the link below to get an electronic copy of my book, "A Fateful Melody" for FREE!!! eepurl.com/cnTmq1
10. That's all he gave me. Ten minutes to sort my thoughts and make life altering choices. Only ten minutes. How can I do this? How do I organize my thoughts--my life!--in 600 seconds?
9. One minute down and nine to go. How did I waste that trip around the clock freaking out and doing something as trivial as breathing? Focus. I've been gifted these last minutes. I need to try and clear my mind. Focus. I got this.
8. Ah! Already one-fifth of my time is gone--how is it that now I can do math? Work with me, brain! Oh, geez. He's staring at me, counting down the seconds I bet. I can't work like this!
7. No. Stop. I need to stop focusing on the sweat on my temples and how slippery my palms have become. Oh, be quiet heartbeat! I know you're there, no need to get louder! This stuff won't matter in the end, so focus. Focus! What's important to remember? Out of my entire existence, what mattered?
6. I wish I could stop the tears from forming. These precious moments are slipping away! Why can't I make my brain work--make these last minutes count? Is this what goes through the head of those that came before me? The pressure!
5. Half of the time I've been allotted is gone?! Where did those precious seconds go? His eyes are staring at me again. He can't wait until the countdown finishes so he can do away with me and call it a day. STOP IT. FOCUS.
4. I swear I can hear every clock ticking faster and faster, as if the world is against me. Why can't I do this? Why is it so hard to focus under this pressure? Why can't I find a way out? Why has my brain shut down?
3. Oh, geez! The panic! Stop it. Stop panicking!. Breathe in. Breathe out. Count to ten slowly to steady breathing. One... Two... Three... Four... Five... Six... Seven... Eight... Nine... Ten...
2. WHAT? CALMING BREATHS TOOK TOO LONG! How is this possible? My life is over! It's going to end! How could there be a chance at life after this? What am I going to do? Why can't I focus?!
1. Sixty seconds. Oh god! He's staring me down, getting closer. His eyes are dark and disappointed. Just ignore him. Focus! Breathe. Focus! Breathe. Focus! Focus! Focus!
"Time is up," he says with a sinister grin. His voice slicing through the silence.
I am alone in the room, the only one left.
"Pencils down. Turn in your final exam." He points to his desk, impatiently.
Gulping with a dry mouth and shaky hands I stand.
To meet my fate.
His kisses shuffle like
clumsy hands on a deck of cards,
playing 52-card pick-up
with the pieces of my heart.
He was not the king.
I was unimportant,
not a face card;
insignificant and low in value.
I was never an ace or queen--
perhaps a 3 of spades--
playing into his straight
jacket of illusion.
Double tap my heart,
to send a telegram instantly.
Like me with a thumbs up or wink
to send my followers atwitter.
Share my picture perfect smile
in your book of empty faces.
Pin my affection like a job posting
to your super secret board.
Retweet my words and proclamations
with hashtags as your emotions.
React to my detailed life; an open book,
don't forget to make it all about meme.
And choose which emoji represents your love:
ignore and de-friend all others.
This blog reflects the author's original works, photographs, and musings unless otherwise noted. No part of this website may be reproduced or distributed without permission unless directly linked to this website and credit to the author/photographer is given.